4 years, 8 months ago Heather KleinerParticipant
1. News and updates: TIES, October conference
2. New logo
3. Regional collaboration with Oklahoma and SOLE project
4. Purpose – finalizing
5. Problem – data support and finalizing
(see attached sign-in sheet)
1) The group was advised that we have a Technical Assistance Lead (TAL), Veniese Mitchell, for the STEM initiative with TIES. A survey is due to assess the group.
2) October conference was discussed. Heather will be going. Kevin wasn’t sure yet.
3) New logo was discussed. The group likes the color and inclusiveness, but it needs to be simplified. Heather will return the logo to her graphics department for revisions.
4) Collaboration with OK and the SOLE project. The group had questions about details for the SOLE project. Heather will contact partners with questions and get back with the group.
5) Problem statement: needs to be broken up into 2+ sentences.
Below is the original statement.
The face of education is constantly changing thus placing a high demand for classroom resources that empowers educators, parents and community advocates with the tools necessary to prepare students with the 21st century skills, to solve a growing short fall of a trained, educated workforce.
The last phrase…”to solve a growing short fall of a trained, educated workforce” needs to include “STEM” somewhere. Perhaps something like this: …”to solve a growing short fall and/or projected future need of a technically trained, educated STEM workforce”
6) Purpose statement: too ambitious and the group cannot propose more than it can reasonably do. Distill the statements down to one or two key purposes, with details folded into each. Below is the original statement.
As a community of educators, parents, and civic advocates, unified to connect students to the 21st century workforce, we focus on improving STEM education for our students through the 4 A’s: Academic Resources, Achievement in Math test scores, Awareness of STEM opportunities, and Availability and Access to STEM professionals in our community.
Data could be added to the statement, and the goal of moving a percentage…
The purpose must be able to be evaluated
We might consider a Venn Diagram (teachers/educators, parents, community/civic, and academics)
Maybe focus on Achievement in math scores for example.
7) Higher education/workforce development: The group discussed other possible projects and how they differ from existing project. Heather suggested a booklet on careers. Another member suggested a video or picture of a child doing something fun and a stair step towards a career.
8) Infrastructure: not necessarily a goal, but an advantage of the STEM alliance is the ability to communicate and network. Thus building the infrastructure will help the group to succeed.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.